Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ask a Detailer! A thread for your car care questions

Thought I would bring these questions from LAMBOJules in my intro thread over to it's own and create a discussion for forum members to ask detailing related questions to the many detailers that are now on the site.

Here's what LAMBOJules asked:

- How often should a car be detailed?
    - Most people on average probably wash their cars about 4 times a month give or take, so which steps and products should we use during those in between detail washes?
    - What if I spilt something on the interior of carpeting, what products or steps should we take?
    - What if it smells bad, are there any steps in taking out odor?
    - Sometimes my vents smell funny when turning on heat or AC... anything we can do about it?
    - How often should leather or cloth interior be cleaned?
    - Is there a good product you recommend for this?
    - Tire shine, Too much is dangerous so what's the best way to clean and make it last a nd be safe at the same time
    - How to clean if your car is wrapped...

I'm going to take question #4 right now since this happened to me over the weekend.

A Venti Mocha spill on a light tan interior!

I was driving our shops new loaner Jetta with my giant cup of joe in the cup holder when I took a turn a little to fast resulting in a massive mocha mess in the passenger foot well. The napkin I had wasn't going to do a thing to soak up the mess so I headed to my warehouse to grab an older waffle weave drying towel to soak up the liquid. I used one of our old waffle towels as they hold a TON of liquid, but a cotton beach towel would do just fine as all I was concerned with at that point was soaking up as much of the mess as possible.

Next I hit the carpets with my personal favorite carpet product, Adam's Polishes Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner, and a boars hair brush. I sprayed on the cleaner, and then agitated it with the brush. Once it got sudsy I would blot it up with a microfiber towel and then repeat the process. I kept on repeating the process until I had all of the mocha out of the carpet.

But what if it that didn't get the spill up? Sometimes you actually need to let the spill dry overnight and then hit it again with carpet cleaner and a brush. And if that doesn't do the trick, add steam with a hot steam cleaner.

Now not to sound like an infomercial, but all of that could of been avoided if I had the loaners carpets protected with Gtechniq's l1 Smart Fabric. Smart Fabric covers each strand of fiber in a hydrophobic coating, meaning that all of that mocha would of just beaded up on top of the carpet making for a super easy clean up. It's an excellent product and you really should check it out!

Name:  AutoDetailer-Press-6-600x399.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  45.7 KB

I'll leave the other questions unanswered for now and let the others chime in.
    This should turn into a very informative thread!
    Atlanta Auto Salon | Gtechniq Accredited Detailer
    900 Sun Valley Drive, Ste. 6 | Roswell, GA 30076
    770-447-8003 | perfection@atlantaautosalon.com | www.atlantaautosalon.com

This is going to a great thread David! Thanks for getting these questions up and going!
    Coffee stains I think is a great one cause this happens to all of us!

Interesting and good to know that sometimes you gotta let the wet stuff dry before attacking it... And here I am thinking time is of essence and freaking out.

Maybe with Gtechniq's l1 Smart Fabric light colored interior will make a comeback!

I just posted the response to "How often should I have my car detailed?" in it's own thread before I even saw this was up. Dave and I think a like.
    Kevin Awalt
    GTechniq North America
    Product Development Director/Master Detailer
    (203) 529-4213

KevinAwalt@GTechniqNA.com
    Find a member of our Detail Elite Network in your area

I love these tips keep em coming.

Great tips - thank you!

Before I give my take on these questions. A great way to extend the life and look of your car with less hassle is with GTechniq Products. Apply either right after an intensive detail and paint correction or after a good new car prep.

Depends on what the customer needs or wants. Matte, Gloss,.. Vinyl.. Is it a daily driver? Garaged? Is it a museum car? How much paint is left? Do you want it cleaned as soon as you see dust on it... Lots of variables....but.. I would say a good express or light detail every couple weeks is best to maintain without over doing it and getting undesirable and diminishing wash marks over time. Also, you'll be able to see and repair a chip, scratch, nails in the tires, air pressure checks, air filter checks, oil checks, etc. I feel like expresses often are great check ups. If there's something wrong you can nip it in the butt before it gets worse. Especially if its Vinyl. You'll be able to notice it is de-laminating, pulling up or bubbling. I think Foaming and chenille mits really help with Vinyl marring or micro-scratches. But it still happens. When you can, always use a professional. Don't over cut and polish often and severely lessen your paints life. Get it done and then PROTECT! Good water I feel is always a must. It makes cleaning more effective and easier. Back to the question... I feel when properly done a light detail with sanitizing twice a month. An intensive interior and exterior quarterly to semi annually depending on what its been through and your wants. Including Claying, Polishing and Sealing. It all depends on what YOU want and like. I wash my car and van maybe once a week, but they're protected with C1, C5, G1 and Exo V2 so I really don't have to do any wiping I just pressure wash with D.I. water and its pretty much done. Bugs and debris just fall off... ITS CRAZY surprising the first time you get bugs off.
    - Most people on average probably wash their cars about 4 times a month give or take, so which steps and products should we use during those in between detail washes?
    C1, EXOv2, L1, I1, C6, lightly diluted C2V3 for in-between's or if you have a favorite Spray Wax, but if you have C1 and Exo on, you really don't need to re-apply anything every month. You can do C2V3 every few months if you want.
    - What if I spilled something on the interior of carpeting, what products or steps should we take?
    If you can, Soak up what you can until your not getting anything else coming up. Blot wit with warm, clean water and a Microfiber towel. Kind of push down on the towel and then twist up, repeat til your think your done. Or use your favorite spot cleaner, let it dwell a few seconds if you think it needs and then Scrub it! If you need further attention, you need a good steam or extraction to get it effectively with out underlying residue. Its very possible that you can see a light stain after this. Once its completely dry, go back after it, and your problem will be solved.
    Go through your car and find whatever is smelling bad. and do a full interior cleaning and sanitizing. If you need to, don't be afraid to pull out whatever seats you can. If its just the whole dingy smelly interior you probably have to thoroughly vacuum, Steam what you can and Hot water Extract what you can. Go back over with just the vacuum part, push kind of firm into the surface and go slow to make sure your pulling up as much contaminants and water as possible. Allowing it to dry quicker.. and i think it feels better once it dries completely. Keep windows rolled down while waiting for it to dry. This includes the trunk... Look every where in your car for nasty stuff. They like to hide.
    - Sometimes my vents smell funny when turning on heat or AC... anything we can do about it?
    Check your Filters, clean the vent exteriors and throw some dry steam through the vents. I would maybe even suggest a good Engine detail just in case something is up in the engine bay contributing to the smell.
    Again, It depends on how often you're in it and what type of driver the car is. If you're in dirt and rocks and snow everyday. Do it every couple days, don't get too rough just a good vacuum (for carpets). If you dont have L1 on your seats I would suggest as soon as you see slight discoloration. It makes it way easier to clean. Every couple weeks should be good for a light cleaning. with a Damp cloth or W2. If you have REAL Leather I would use Leatherique's process every 6 months or so with light cleaning in between, whenever you want. Once something on the interior is thoroughly clean, whether it cloth, Nubuck, leather, or suede,...PROTECT IT! It will look better so much longer. and when something does happen you lessen the risk of possibly hurting or diminishing the look of your surface from rubbing often or using the wrong spray.
    I like 303 Spot Cleaner, W2 All Purpose Cleaner, VX5000 for steaming, a medium to soft bristle brush and some others. For protection, use I1 and L1
    - Tire shine, Too much is dangerous so what's the best way to clean and make it last and be safe at the same time
    I personally think Plasti-Coat has cool product. You can choose either or gloss or matte finish. It's a coating that goes over the tires that lasts a long time. I have also used Tuf-Shine. Both Protect the tire and are completely Dry. With proper prepping, they last very long. The better you prep and clean the tires, the longer it will last and the better it will look. I am personally digging the Plasti-Coat Matte finish. Mix with gloss for a Satin finish. GTechniqs T1 is also good. I haven't used it yet, but I am hearing good things from Gloss Its tire shine as well.
    What type of material is it? How dirty is it?
    Every Week or two depending on how quickly it gets dirty. They attract more dust, so be careful when washing. Be weary of edges and seals to prevent Lifting
    Gloss Vinyl and CF -Clean water, Decent Pressure, and use wash and drying strokes that go in the direction of air-flow. Foaming helps for very dirty vehicles. Matte finishes, use Dr. Beasleys Matte Paint Prescription. Brushed Finishes-Clean Water, Decent Pressure, and 70% and higher I.P.A 1:1 or 2:1. Only wipe back and forth the length of the panel in direction of the brush marks. If you can plan on using C1 and EXO a couple days after your wrap is finished. Leave it out in the sun or heat for a couple days so the scratches from the installers will fade. Then Coat it. C1 and Exo. For Brushed Vinyl use C2V3 or just EXO I havent found a good way to apply C1 yet.... IPA can also be used for the other vinyls.

The ENTIRE Line of GTechniq is great. I especially lik the following: C1, EXO, EXO v2, C2V3, I1, L1, G1, G5, C5, C6.

This was much longer than I expected and I'm sure I missed something. So if I was unclear on something, you have a question on something or you don't agree with something, just let me know. Every car and geographic is different so, use common sense on anything your doing. If your'e iffy on something pause and send any of us here a p/m.

Thanks.
    Last edited by BullDogDetail.com/GTNA; 02-25-2014 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BullDogDetail.com/GTNA View Post
    Before I give my take on these questions. A great way to extend the life and look of your car with less hassle is with GTechniq Products. Apply either right after an intensive detail and paint correction or after a good new car prep.

Depends on what the customer needs or wants. Matte, Gloss,.. Vinyl.. Is it a daily driver? Garaged? Is it a museum car? How much paint is left? Do you want it cleaned as soon as you see dust on it... Lots of variables....but.. I would say a good express or light detail every couple weeks is best to maintain without over doing it and getting undesirable and diminishing wash marks over time. Also, you'll be able to see and repair a chip, scratch, nails in the tires, air pressure checks, air filter checks, oil checks, etc. I feel like expresses often are great check ups. If there's something wrong you can nip it in the butt before it gets worse. Especially if its Vinyl. You'll be able to notice it is de-laminating, pulling up or bubbling. I think Foaming and chenille mits really help with Vinyl marring or micro-scratches. But it still happens. When you can, always use a professional. Don't over cut and polish often and severely lessen your paints life. Get it done and then PROTECT! Good water I feel is always a must. It makes cleaning more effective and easier. Back to the question... I feel when properly done a light detail with sanitizing twice a month. An intensive interior and exterior quarterly to semi annually depending on what its been through and your wants. Including Claying, Polishing and Sealing. It all depends on what YOU want and like. I wash my car and van maybe once a week, but they're protected with C1, C5, G1 and Exo V2 so I really don't have to do any wiping I just pressure wash with D.I. water and its pretty much done. Bugs and debris just fall off... ITS CRAZY surprising the first time you get bugs off.
    C1, EXOv2, L1, I1, C6, lightly diluted C2V3 for in-between's or if you have a favorite Spray Wax, but if you have C1 and Exo on, you really don't need to re-apply anything every month. You can do C2V3 every few months if you want.
    - What if I spilled something on the interior of carpeting, what products or steps should we take?
    If you can, Soak up what you can until your not getting anything else coming up. Blot wit with warm, clean water and a Microfiber towel. Kind of push down on the towel and then twist up, repeat til your think your done. Or use your favorite spot cleaner, let it dwell a few seconds if you think it needs and then Scrub it! If you need further attention, you need a good steam or extraction to get it effectively with out underlying residue. Its very possible that you can see a light stain after this. Once its completely dry, go back after it, and your problem will be solved.
    Go through your car and find whatever is smelling bad. and do a full interior cleaning and sanitizing. If you need to, don't be afraid to pull out whatever seats you can. If its just the whole dingy smelly interior you probably have to thoroughly vacuum, Steam what you can and Hot water Extract what you can. Go back over with just the vacuum part, push kind of firm into the surface and go slow to make sure your pulling up as much contaminants and water as possible. Allowing it to dry quicker.. and i think it feels better once it dries completely. Keep windows rolled down while waiting for it to dry. This includes the trunk... Look every where in your car for nasty stuff. They like to hide.
    Check your Filters, clean the vent exteriors and throw some dry steam through the vents. I would maybe even suggest a good Engine detail just in case something is up in the engine bay contributing to the smell.
    Again, It depends on how often you're in it and what type of driver the car is. If you're in dirt and rocks and snow everyday. Do it every couple days, don't get too rough just a good vacuum (for carpets). If you dont have L1 on your seats I would suggest as soon as you see slight discoloration. It makes it way easier to clean. Every couple weeks should be good for a light cleaning. with a Damp cloth or W2. If you have REAL Leather I would use Leatherique's process every 6 months or so with light cleaning in between, whenever you want. Once something on the interior is thoroughly clean, whether it cloth, Nubuck, leather, or suede,...PROTECT IT! It will look better so much longer. and when something does happen you lessen the risk of possibly hurting or diminishing the look of your surface from rubbing often or using the wrong spray.
    I like 303 Spot Cleaner, W2 All Purpose Cleaner, VX5000 for steaming, a medium to soft bristle brush and some others. For protection, use I1 and L1
    - Tire shine, Too much is dangerous so what's the best way to clean and make it last and be safe at the same time
    I personally think Plasti-Coat has cool product. You can choose either or gloss or matte finish. It's a coating that goes over the tires that lasts a long time. I have also used Tuf-Shine. Both Protect the tire and are completely Dry. With proper prepping, they last very long. The better you prep and clean the tires, the longer it will last and the better it will look. I am personally digging the Plasti-Coat Matte finish. Mix with gloss for a Satin finish. GTechniqs T1 is also good. I haven't used it yet, but I am hearing good things from Gloss Its tire shine as well.
    What type of material is it? How dirty is it?
    Every Week or two depending on how quickly it gets dirty. They attract more dust, so be careful when washing. Be weary of edges and seals to prevent Lifting
    Gloss Vinyl and CF -Clean water, Decent Pressure, and use wash and drying strokes that go in the direction of air-flow. Foaming helps for very dirty vehicles. Matte finishes, use Dr. Beasleys Matte Paint Prescription. Brushed Finishes-Clean Water, Decent Pressure, and 70% and higher I.P.A 1:1 or 2:1. Only wipe back and forth the length of the panel in direction of the brush marks. If you can plan on using C1 and EXO a couple days after your wrap is finished. Leave it out in the sun or heat for a couple days so the scratches from the installers will fade. Then Coat it. C1 and Exo. For Brushed Vinyl use C2V3 or just EXO I havent found a good way to apply C1 yet.... IPA can also be used for the other vinyls.

The ENTIRE Line of GTechniq is great. I especially lik the following: C1, EXO, EXO v2, C2V3, I1, L1, G1, G5, C5, C6.

This was much longer than I expected and I'm sure I missed something. So if I was unclear on something, you have a question on something or you don't agree with something, just let me know. Every car and geographic is different so, use common sense on anything your doing. If your'e iffy on something pause and send any of us here a p/m.

Thanks.

awesome thread, keep it up!!

Name:  Featured_logoc.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  72.1 KB
    Rev Up Your Lifestyle

Awesome post BullDog!

I'd like to add to the question about smells.

Once we've found the problem area and steam cleaned the interior, we use a combination of HVAC cleansing and Ozone to knock the smells out of the car!
    You can actually do the HVAC cleansing yourself by using Frigi Fresh spray. Turn on your car and have your HVAC unit turned on high with windows rolled up. Take the Frigi Fresh spray and spray it into your HVAC fresh air intake, located outside of the car, usually below the windshield before the hood. I spray for a good minute or more and then quickly go inside the car and turn the HVAC on recirculate. Let that brew in there recirculating through the vents for a good 20-30 minutes, then shut the car off and let it air out with the windows down. Easy!
    Atlanta Auto Salon | Gtechniq Accredited Detailer
    900 Sun Valley Drive, Ste. 6 | Roswell, GA 30076
    770-447-8003 | perfection@atlantaautosalon.com | www.atlantaautosalon.com

this might be my new favorite thread. Can we get some videos of how to use the products correctly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast