Register

How often should I have my car detailed? Traditional products Vs. GTechniq

LamboJULES posted in one of the GTEchniq Accredited Detailer's threads that there were a few questions that you, the forum member, would like to see addressed. One of the questions was "How often should I have my car detailed?" This struck me as a good topic to start a discussion on because, first of all, having your vehicles detailed and then finished with a coat of traditional wax or a synthetic paint sealant is different from having your car detailed and then coated with a silica coating like the ones offered through GTechniq.

In this, I will make the case for the coatings. as far as the actual detailing work itself, the only thing I will say is that you should use your own judgement when picking a detailer. Make sure that what they are doing is true paint correction where they are removing the imperfections from the paint and not just hiding them with filler products.

Once the actual paint correction has been done, until silica coatings came along, you had to rely on technology that went back to almost 1930, carnauba waxes. Everyone always wants a good, pure carnuba wax applied to protect their car, right? If you used 100% pure carnauba wax, it would be equivalent to rubbing a candle stick across your paint. So, the manufacturers of car waxes use various other chemical compounds to break down this wax to make it easier to spread across the painted surfaces of your car. The easier it is to spread, usually the less carnauba wax is actually in the product itself.

So the next option is paint sealants. Paint sealants, while designed to last longer, are nothing more that reversed engineered, synthetic waxes. Usually, the consumer finds that while a paint sealant will last longer that a wax, it usually does not provide the same level of shine as a more traditional wax.

What this means is that both of these products are going to break down on their own. Imagine this: you have a black car and it's the middle of July. Sunny, high heat, and it's just heating up the hood of your black car to an almost untouchable temperature. Now imagine taking a one inch thick candle and placing it on the hood of this car. What is going to happen to that candle? It's going to get soft, and left out for enough days, it's going to evaporate. Now take that same example and rather than having it be a one inch thick candle, imagine it's a layer of "wax" that is only MICRONS of an inch thick. How long is that super expensive wax going to REALLY stand up?

The product line that we offer here at GTechniq North America is designed, first of all, for long term durability. If you look at other industries, construction, landscaping, glass, art, etc, there are products out there that do not need to be re-applied over and over again, so it was only a matter of time before people started applying it to the auto industry. Long term durability and then an unmatched shine, that is what our scientists wanted.

So, what does all this have to do with how often you should have your car detailed? Well, everything actually. A lot of people who even remotely care about the overall appearance of their ride will tell you that 3-4 times a year. What these 3-4 details consist of is usually wash, clay/paint decontamination/compound and polish, and then a layer of wax or sealant. A lot of work each time to remove damage in the paint, and a product that will wear off. For this, I would expect that someone would be paying around $500 give or take a few $100 each time.

With the GTechniq product line, the upfront cost is usually higher, but the products last MUCH longer and provide a much higher level of protection. We achieve this in a few ways:

Number 1: Your car stays cleaner, longer. There is not the need to go through extensive washes as often since the combination of C1 Crystal Lacquer and EXO Hybrid Coating make it much more difficult for contamination to stick to your paint.

Number 2: GTechniq reduces the chances of causing minor scratches and micro marring while basic washes are being done. C1 Crystal Lacquer cures onto your clear coat and forms a harder barrier that does not damage as easily. This eliminates the need to have to go over the entire car every few months to remove micro marring that has accumulated since the last complete detail.

Number 3: Heavy duty washing is no longer required. Washing my truck takes me about 10-15 minutes to get it looking like the first day I coated it. I use a foam gun to foam the car up. I let it sit for a few minutes to break down anything on the body. Pressure wash the soap off, and then I use a leaf blower to dry it. Most of the time, I don't even touch the paint at all.

So, what DOES need to be done after you have had your paint corrected and the GTechniq product line applied? Basic maintenance involving proper wash techniques and an occasional re-application of the EXOv2 Hybrid Coating We recommend bringing you car back once a year to your detailer an having him do a good wash, checking for any damage that may be beyond what the coating could have prevented, paint correction ON JUST THAT DAMAGED AREA, not the whole car, and finally a re-application of the EXO, as mentioned above.

So, how often should your car be detailed? After the initial application, I would say you should be bringing your car to an Accredited GTechniq Detailer twice a year for a "Maintenance Detail" and of course for a proper wash when needed.

ANY QUESTIONS?

To find a GTechniq Accredited Detailer in your area, please CLICK HERE
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kevin Awalt
    GTechniq North America
    Product Development Director/Master Detailer
    (203) 529-4213

KevinAwalt@GTechniqNA.com
    Find a member of our Detail Elite Network in your area

^^^^^^
    That's a picture of pure carauba wax, by the way.
    Kevin Awalt
    GTechniq North America
    (203) 529-4213

LOL! I saw cheese... always food with me.

This thread is awesome! So informative and thorough. I really appreciate you writing about this as I am sure others on the forum feel the same way.

Damn, I am going to have to get my hands on some Gtech!!

This is a great thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Formulaboats_johnh View Post
    This is a great thread!
    Thank You!
    Kevin Awalt
    GTechniq North America
    (203) 529-4213

Nicely written Kevin!
    Ken Allwine - Owner / Operator