Register

Thompson Racing Crew Wins 2012 Bermuda Billfish Blast!

We have been too swamped at work this year in order to get the racecar out, but we did make the annual trek to bermuda. While in Bermuda we decided to enter the Bermuda Billfish Blast. Both my brothers Evan, Elliot and I love to fish and this was a great opportunity to be part of the the most prestigeous billfish tournament in the world.

http://www.bermudabillfishblast.com/

The tournament is three days and takes place from 04JUL to 06JUL and is held in Hamilton, BDA. Lines in at 8:30am and lines out at 4:30pm every day. It coencides with the Blue Marlin World Cup, held on 04JUL. We were on a boat named Mattanza, captained by Brooks Rans. The mates were Tayler Walsh and KJ Zeher, both amazing fisherman!

04JUL2012
    We did not catch a blue marlin elligable for the World Cup, but Evan and Elliot reeled in one white marlin each. This was good enough for 400 points. A boat named Bree led the day with two blues and a white, totalling 1200points. Queen of Hearts rolled into Hamilton port with a 768lb blue to win the World Cup! We were not at the bottom, but not at the top either, with a few blues caught by other boats during the day.

05JUL2012
    Thursday was completely dry for us. We had an enormous blue on, well over 700lbs, but lost her as she jumped another line and popped the hook. We had a second blue on, but lost it as well. Other boats did well and Rumbum won the day with two whites and a blue. They totalled 1400points.

06JUL2012
    Our day started off well with a decent sized blue and landed two whites shortly after. Paradise One had a good day, bringing in two whites and a blue, moving past Rumbum to first place around 3pm with 1456points. We knew we were in the top of the ladder with 900points for the day, but by 4pm the other boats congratulated Paradise One on their victory. At 4:11pm, at large wahoo slammed our lures, but fortunately came off. Wahoo are great eating, but don't carry any points in a billfish tournament. At 4:19pm, the right short line zipped out of control and we were hooked up! With 6min left in the tournament, we released a decent size white marlin, adding another 200points to our daily. DOWN TO THE WIRE BABY!!!

We were not sure where we stood in the ladder, but knew we had a killer day. More congratulations over the radio came for Paradise One at lines out, 4:30pm. We figured we had a good shot at second, with a most definite third place. Then, half way into port the official announcement came over the radio: "Congratulations Mattanza on winning the Bermuda Billfish Blast!" We had no idea we won! We rolled into port to a huge ovation and had a stack of flags hanging to go with! We won with under 6min left and by 44points!

Vessel Information, Team Stats, and Videos:
    http://bbb12.catchstat.com/Team.aspx?tid=2877

We were scheduled to leave Sat. morning, but stayed an extra night for the banquet. Totally worth it! We won our racing championship back in '06 and it's good to be back on the podium! We took home the Daily Billfish Release for Day 3, 1st Place Team award, a nice check, and an invite to the Offshore World Championship 2013.

Name:  484627_10151912759320581_767576423_n.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  24.4 KB
    www.thompsonracing.us > Shop Online
    Authorized Philadelphia Area Dealer for Adam's Polishes
    Use "ADAM'S" to save!

2008 Dodge Viper Roadster, Moton Coilovers, Autoform Roll Bar, Euroteck Rotors, Corsa Exaust, Suede Interior
    2006 GMC Sierra MPI Twin Turbo, EFI Live, Suncoast Trans, Fabtech Lift, 40" Pro Comps, 13" JL W7, Suede Interior

Awesome news Eric! Sounds like a good time. I'm not much of a boat guy... Can't hold up with the rocking from the water. Dry land is all I need!

P.S. We need to talk about getting you up to NY for the show in September!
    Nick @ Synergy Detailing
    631-236-8613
    Facebook.com/SynergyDetailing

2006 Dodge Viper SRT-10
    2012 Honda Civic Si

That is great, I am not to bad out at sea, just got to limit the booze!
    Martino Auto Concepts

East Coast's Finest Collision Repair Facility Celebrating our 24th Anniversary

Factory Trained & Authorized by MERCEDES BENZ USA & BMW North America

Concept to reality... it's MAC, or it's not.

Joe LaPadula... I Build Cars
    #joemacbrand
    joe@martinoautoconcepts.com