Register

Tourists swim in Venice square as heavy rain pounds Italy

(Reuters) - Nearly three quarters of Venice was flooded on Monday and tourists swam in St Mark's Square as a wave of bad weather swept through northern and central Italy, forcing the evacuation of 200 people from their homes in Tuscany.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pb-121111-venice-cannon3.photoblog900.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	412.5 KB 
ID:	14496

Shops, homes and historic palaces filled with water in Venice and authorities said 70 percent of the lagoon city was flooded.

High water in Venice reached 149 cm (5ft), the sixth highest level since records began in 1872, forcing residents to wade through waist-deep water. Tourists in swimming costumes sat at cafe tables under the water.

There was no immediate estimate of damage to the beautiful northeastern city.

Name:	pb-121111-venice-cannon5.photoblog900.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	441.4 KB 
ID:	14497

In Tuscany, 23 centimetres (9 inches) of rain fell in four hours, causing the Ricortola and Parmignola rivers to flood, according to the regional government.

"It has been devastating," said Roberto Pucci, the mayor of Massa Carrara in Tuscany, one of the worst hit areas.

"I saw at least six bridges destroyed in the hills, floods, landslides, vineyards and olive groves swept away. If there hasn't been a death it's a miracle," he told Corriere della Sera newspaper.

Name:	pb-121111-venice-cannon4.photoblog900.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	444.1 KB 
ID:	14498

Local media said dozens of people took refuge on their roofs after rivers burst their banks in central Italy.

Environment Minister Corrado Clini called for more funding to shore up Italy's weather defences. Bad weather with torrential rain was due to continue through Tuesday, forecasters said.

It was the fourth time since 2000 that Venice had been hit by record high water, and the city's environment officer said the latest flooding was the result of global climate change.

Name:	pb-121111-venice-cannon2.photoblog900.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	501.1 KB 
ID:	14499

Name:	pb-121111-venice-cannon6.photoblog900.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	442.7 KB 
ID:	14500

Name:	pb-121111-venice-cannon1.photoblog900.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	458.9 KB 
ID:	14501

A barrier to protect the city from repeated winter flooding, which has been planned for decades, is due to be finished by 2015. (Reporting by Steve Scherer and Naomi O'Leary; editing by Barry Moody)

[source]
    Rev Up Your Lifestyle

That second pic with people shopping in the store is just soreal. I just wathched this on the news.

We Don't Alway's Drive Our Viper, But When We Do,
    We Drive It Like We Stole It.
    "Stay Fast My Friends"

2006 VIPER COUPE
    / 2007 JGC SRT8

Global Warming????????
    Martino Auto Concepts

East Coast's Finest Collision Repair Facility Celebrating our 24th Anniversary

Factory Trained & Authorized by MERCEDES BENZ USA & BMW North America

Concept to reality... it's MAC, or it's not.

Joe LaPadula... I Build Cars
    #joemacbrand
    joe@martinoautoconcepts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Torquemonster06 View Post
    That second pic with people shopping in the store is just soreal. I just wathched this on the news.
    I love that shot...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe @ Martino Auto Concepts View Post
    Global Warming????????
    I do not know what is going on in this world, but it is starting to get freaky!